Monday, July 2, 2007

A Mouse Encounter Unlike No Other

Tonight as Sarah, Ethan and I were hanging out with Lisa and the girls, Lisa happened upon three baby mice running along side her house. You would have thought they were giant mice by the scream she let out when she saw them. You would have thought that they were man eating by the way I followed suit, screamed and jumped onto the patio lounger. Sadly I hadn't even seen them - she had just yelled out MICE! Sorry Val & Dale - can't get much more city girl than that can ya?


In a panic Lisa frantically began calling her dad, her father-in-law and eventually the neighbour telling them there was a @#$* load of mice in her yard. I'm not sure if 3 actually qualifies as a @#$*load but whose to argue with a desperate woman. Richard and Trevor were in Winnipeg enjoying the White Stripes so they were no help. On the advice of the neighbour she grabbed the nearest object (a rake in this case) in hopes that she might shoo them into the field. She quickly changed her plan to a more PERMANENT one as she decided she didn't want them back. With adrenalin taking over and a yell of "die mouse die" she was able to "send the1st mouse to a better place! ". I advised that we had a mouse at the lake once that jumped out of the Triscuit box when my mom and I opened it. After setting a trap and walking around on the furniture for awhile, my mom paid me $20.00 to dispose of the body. Not wanting to touch the mouse I threw it away trap and all. I told Lisa that I would do the same for her but her mouse rage allowed her to face her fears and do it herself.


At this point Sarah and Bryn wanted to see the other mice so they ran up to take a peek. I gotta admit that even though I don't like mice these guys were kinda cute. With two mice to go the neighbour arrived and pointed out that Lisa's odds would be increased significantly if she smacked the mouse on the head with a shovel as opposed to trying to get it with a rake. Hmm - good point - not one she had thought of in her state of panic.


For all those mouse lovers out there, in the end one mouse got away. They set a trap and I never heard if he got caught. Perhaps he is out in the field right now looking for his siblings and wondering why they never came back from their evening stroll. Poor mice. Poor Lisa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, it was good to hear the story again because I had blocked it out of my memory ( our bodys survival technique I guess!)