Thursday, May 29, 2008

And the Prize for the Meanest Mom goes to....

ME, ME, ME!

Yes sadly I believe I will earn this title hands down this week as I am giving away my children's pet that they have only had for 5 days. I have had many questions about the status of the hamster and I am happy(yet sad) to say that instead of being apprehended we were able to secure an open adoption instead. Rochelle, a lady I work with has a 7 year old daughter who loves hamsters. They have one that is dying and so they were happy to take Chip for us (he may have a name change once they identify if he truly is a HE or not). I have been panicking about this hamster since I got home Saturday and found him in the submarine. The kids like him but don't seem enthralled by him. We tried to clean the cage last night and had him in a little container while we emptied the other one. Megan tried to get the container and shake it. When the cage is down she tries to poke him and just about got her finger bit the other day. I am sure I am giving up way to soon but I just really feel like our kids are just a bit to young for a live pet. We are going to stick to the Webkins(computer pets) so that if they don't get fed for a week we know they will still be okay!

I have to say the kids were troopers with the news. I gently explained that Mommy had made a mistake. Chip was going to be more work than we thought, we hadn't thought about being away for 2-3 weeks this summer, he was making a big mess kicking shavings out of his cage and he smelled! I also explained that I knew a little girl that was sad because her hamster was dying. When I said that she would be so happy to have Chip and that we could go and visit him whenever we wanted they were perfectly accepting of the idea. Thank goodness I have great kids -- too bad for them they have the meanest mom around. Sorry guys.

1 comment:

K :) said...

Susan...you're not the meanest mom. You gave something a try...and it didn't work out. And, you're giving something away to someone who needs it more. I think that's a good life lesson. Bravo!