So last month I (and TREVOR) had had enough of our cluttered house so enlisted the help of an expert cleaner to get things organized and livable again. As a birthday present she came over and helped me clean the entire upstairs. She vacuumed and washed floors while I put away all the stuff that was in her way of doing those things. The system worked well because I knew where things went and she is a far better cleaner than I am. She pulled out the couch and loveseat, cleaned behind beds, in closests, on high shelves etc. It was absolutely the best feeling when we were done. The best part was that it lasted for a few weeks before starting to get cluttered again. How some of this stuff wanders out of where it is supposed to be I will never know.
Some might wonder where I would find such a great lady but those who know my mom know that I am talking about her. No one knows clean like Judy and although there are many days we wonder if I was maybe switched at birth, I'm starting to get the hang of "putting stuff away where it goes the first time" and "getting rid of stuff we don't use so it doesn't clutter the space".
This week I knew it was time to call again and see if she had a free morning. Luckily she had today open and was excited to come over and get at it again. ( I know, I know - more red flags and serious questions as to if I am truly related). The thing with cleaning for me is that my brain just doesn't even think like mom's. Case in point: while vacuuming the rug in our living room ... she turned it over and vacuumed the underside .. What? Who does that? Why? Who sees that side? Who thinks to vacuum it? Then we were vacuuming behind the fridge and mom said we should really check our furnace because there was so much dust back there she thought there might be something clogged. She might be right but all the while she was saying this I was thinking " doesn't seem too bad for a place that likely hasn't been vacuumed in 3-4 years". It's all in how you look at it.
I jest at my mom's love for cleaning but in all honesty I have never been more thankful than to have her come over these last few days and help. Dare I even say .... it was ...... fun (not the cleaning part but the visiting while cleaning was nice!) I love to come home to a house that is so clean I WANT to keep it that neat. Perhaps if we keep this up I will become addicted to cleaning and turn into the daughter my mom always hoped I would be. (Okay - stop laughing... I know that will never happen but don't rob my mom of her long lost dream!)
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Your view and capabilities around cleaning sound like mine. I LOVE a clean house but I have no motivation to do it. And, I too, have no idea how clutter creeps it's way into the rooms again. Little goblins in the night must move things around. Who knows. :)
Add my name to the list of people who think like you...and Cheryl. Let's just say I've never cleaned the underside of a rug...hehehe.
I love a clean and organized house too...and yet, to get it all to that point all at the same time...and then keep it that way. Sheesh! It's a task that seems insurmountable...especially with those goblins taking things out all the time...heehee.
Yeah for having a Judy in your life :)
I can attest ( so can Karen) that JJ is a wonderful cleaner. She is really bored with retirement and wants to get out of the house more. Who am i to hold her back, so if you are looking for someone to clean your house give her a call. Her rates are reasonable and your house will never look better.
Del
I need to give Auntie Judy a call, my house could use a total overhaul!
Post a Comment