Monday, October 19, 2009

Making me Skinny -one slap at a time!

So if you recognize that slogan you are going to love this story. Even if you don't by the time I explain it all you will be laughing right along at us... I mean ....with us.

This story begins this summer at the lake and while you might think it has something to do with a radical personal training program let me assure you it doesn't. Mom and Dad have Bell TV out there and the only thing that the kids really can watch is the retro cartoon channel which they love except it has tooooo many commercials. We usually watch movies so they aren't used to having their show interrupted. Anyway while we watched the commercials this summer, the infomercial for the Slap Chop came on. In essence this is just a hand chopper for cutting up veggies, or fruit, or as the commercial will tell you basically anything. The guy who does the commercial is CHEESY and the kids thought the whole thing was hilarious. The slogan is "making American skinny- one slap at a time". Well along with the slap chop if you called right then you could get the "Graty" which is a cheese grater. And not only that ... the special offer was that if you ordered right away they would throw in a free Slap Chop and a free Graty. Well I thought this whole thing was funny but in all honesty I have wanted a chopper for awhile. I had the pampered chef one and it broke -- when we sent it back we never got a replacement one. Jokingly I told Trevor I wanted a Slap Chop for my birthday. My dad laughed and said he wanted one too.

Well as you can guess Trevor actually ordered one for me. When he told the ladies he works with that is what he got me for my birthday they were most appalled. They harassed him and bugged him about such an impersonal gift. He stuck with it though and waited anxiously for the gift to arrive. My birthday arrived and they still weren't here so he had to break down and tell me what he had ordered. To add to the story though he also told me that when he had gone on the website to order he had put in 2 as the quantity because he wanted the free one. well... as you might have figured out ... this actually ordered him 4. Yup not only were we getting one Slap Chop/Graty (and the special chopping mat because Trev spared no expense and upgraded to the deluxe version) we were getting 3 more! Funny enough right .......

When they finally arrived Trevor got the bill and noticed that what was supposed to be 19.95 plus shipping had been much more and there was an extra charge for 80 dollars that we assumed was duty so the whole order came to over 200 dollars. We weren't sure if we should laugh or cry.

Just when we thought the story couldn't get any better Trevor got another surprise. He found out that when he had originally checked the website out he had started to order and saved it in the "shopping cart" . When he had gone back to finally place his order he didn't notice his previous order was still in there. So instead of ordering 2.. which turned out to be 4... he ordered 8.

The last 4 arrived today!!!!




Looks like we are done our
Christmas shopping early this year!

7 comments:

K :) said...

Hahahahaha...that is the most hilarious thing ever!!!!

And the look on Trevor's face with all those Slap and Chops...priceless!!! He totally rivals the "real" slap and chop guy!!!

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

I can't wait to come to your house where I should always be able to eat finely chopped foods :)

Susan said...

I actually made a really good salsa like mixture that I tossed on nachos the other night. not sure how that is going to make me skinny but it sure tasted good!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me Your Mother could use a new Chopper in her stocking, I will pretend to be surprised!! This really made me laugh Guys. A great story

The Rawlings said...

I'll buy one - seriously how can you refuse that face.

Patterson's Progeny said...

Is it as good as the commercial says? If you recommend it, we'll buy one from you!

cheryl said...

This was a terrific laugh for today. Thank you for that! And what tops it off is that picture! That's so great.

regan said...

i have been secretly wanting to order this gadget ..... can i from you now? delivery charge would be much cheaper!! lol .... great share guys .... too funny!!!