Well the time has come to begin the process of potty training Ethan. We have tried off and on in the last few months but it's time to get serious about it. While potty training may not be something you want to read about I am blogging it for history sake. I hope to have this blog as a keepsake for the kids and since potty training is about to consume our lives for awhile I feel the need to document a bit as we go along.
With Sarah I tried for a year, yes I said a year, to potty train her. We sat, we sang, we read, we set the timer, we wore pull-ups, diapers, panties, nothing and nothing worked. On Christmas Eve she got some already worn panties from her older cousin and the next morning she woke and decided she would wear them. We literally had 3 or 4 accidents and she was trained. Go figure.
With Ethan we thought we would wait until he showed signs of interest but he doesn't appear to be in much of a hurry. In trying to decide how to go about this we figured that he is the type of kid that rewards work well with. So last week I explained to him that if he used the potty he would get a gummy bear. Well he was most excited. Soon after this conversation I noticed him head into the corner which can only mean one thing! I suggested that we use the potty and then he could get a gummy bear. He excitedly replied " Yeah lets dump it in the potty and I can get a gummy bear" Apparently he had already finished his business in the diaper!!
Yesterday we tried again, this time I had the gummy bears in full view as added incentive. I also had gummy worms as I had created a new system : Bears for trying, worms for successes! I also agreed to let Sarah have one once in awhile when Ethan got them. Well the whole system back fired when Ethan tried and didn't have to go. Instead of being happy he got a bear for trying he was sad because he couldn't' go. I told him we would try again and he said no he wanted to go right now. After a quick anatomy lesson on how our bodies work (drinks go in, down and eventually out) he agreed to wait a few minutes. Alas by the end of the day still no luck but Sarah in an effort to get a gummy herself reminded me many times that Ethan should try again!
Until next time.....
Friday, June 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Evan and Andrew BOTH get spiderman chewies when Andrew goes poopie.
Same idea as you...a cheering sibling often is a better motivator than anything we can do as parents.
Oh the memories.
Post a Comment