Thursday, June 7, 2007

It's just hit me - My baby is going to Kindergarten

Well I have to admit that 6 months ago I didn't understand why people get so worked up about their kids going to Kindergarten. I loved school and am excited for Sarah to start this new stage of her life. And yet as I sat at her Kindergarten orientation tonight and looked around the big gym and listened to the teachers talk about what the first year will be like -- I found myself close to tears on more than one occasion. How silly - I know- but it hit me - My baby is no longer a baby or a toddler or a preschooler but a school kid.


Where does the time go?

I remember when she was born and the nurses told me when she was only two hours old that she had a temper! Now I know when to expect that temper and what I can and can't do to calm it.


I remember our first trip to the park where she sat in the rocks and tried to eat them. Now our trips to that park are to watch her play soccer and play in the sprinklers.



I remember when she started crawling and she dragged a leg everywhere she went. We thought she would never get anywhere very fast and now I can't keep up with her.


I remember when she started talking and she said "Huh" all the time. I didn't think she would ever learn how to form a sentence and now frankly there are days when we can't shut her up! (and that is okay!).


I remember when I was sure she was going to go to Kindergarten in diapers because she would not learn to use the potty. Now she's the expert and is giving Ethan advice on how to use the potty.


I remember when she couldn't dress herself and now I don't remember a day that she hasn't dressed and re-dressed herself 15 times!


I remember when she was two and everything was "Mine Mine Mine". Now she is proud of herself when she recognizes that she has been generous.

I remember when she was 8 months old and she didn't want to leave my side. Now she can't wait to go to school on the bus with all the other kids from the neighbourhood.

Where does the time go? ( sniffle sniffle)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to tell you this but you will still be wondering where the time went when she is graduating from high school and etc etc to all of the other stages in her life. Just remember to cherish every moment (the good ones along with the bad ones)
Every Day is special!

K :) said...

I remember feeling the same way when I went to Evan's orientation for kindergarten.

The time does go by way too fast!

Anonymous said...

sarah has grown up so fast and we have had such fun watching her grow up and can't wait to see what teenage life will bring to her (and you) It seems like yesterday her and Bryn were laying side by side as little babies and now look at them! Crazy little creatures!
Love you Sarah.