Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Round of Applause Please

Well much to my despair Thursday snuck up way to quickly and it was time for my interview at work. They have created some new positions that I am hoping might be less stressful than protection so I thought I would give it a try. Of course what soon became apparent as I began to study for it was that I have misplaced a large portion of my brain cells since I worked 14 months ago. They must be lost somewhere with the 15 single socks I have in the laundry room. I was looking at all the material, and barely remembering any of it. Of course it wasn't helpful that my damn eyes preferred the closed position- made reading difficult! Anyway after a half-assed attempt at studying I submitted my self to possible failure and embarrassment and attended the interview Thursday at 8:15am (I know - two weeks ago I wasn't even out of my PJ's by 8:15 today I had to be somewhere, no wrinkles, make-up on and hair done- I should have gotten a standing ovation just for that!)

Luckily I knew two of the four interviewers, the third lady (HR rep)was having her 3rd baby so she had great sympathy for me and the fourth lady was very nice. I started the interview noting there were 11 questions on the page and I thought okay I can do this. I muddled my way through the first 10 and on number 11 was faced with a theory question where I had to give examples of questions I would use with clients using the theory. Ahh - it appeared as kind of an ugly question (although none were particularly pretty). I sat back for a moment, thought about it and then gave my answer. Well the HR rep stopped me after this and announced " this is terribly inappropriate but I think she deserves a round of applause for that answer. It is the best one we have had in four days of interviews!" Yeah me! I thought "I am ending it on a great note ."

After the brief boost to my ego they all turned over the page. DUh me. I thought I was done and there were 10 more questions on the other side! Of course these were even harder questions and so again I answered as best I could. On question 15 I was answering(bullshitting) my way through and I made the comment that I wasn't answering this one very well. The nice HR rep said I was "doing fine but I certainly wouldn't be getting any round of applause for it"!

Finally it was done and I left far more relaxed than I had arrived. All in all it went well and I will hear more next week. Considering that one of my references was one of the interviewers I think I am safe to say that I did alright. I'll just wait and see how seniority falls and I will let you know what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Susan, I always knew you were a good bullshitter! Just kidding. Love ya and keep us posted.

K :) said...

Of course you did fabulously! You're "you!"

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you in hopes!!!

It's been so long since I've changed jobs, I wouldn't even know how to approach an interview?!?